WWWJDIC for Android
Add to favorites
Rating: 4.4 (716) Cost: Free Downloads: 100,000 - 500,000
handwriting recognition, OCR, stroke order
Japanese and kanji online dictionary
Android frontend for Jim Breen's WWWJDIC
Donate version available.
*** New: Version 2.0 now supports tablets and Japanese text-to-speech.
* (new) Italian dictionary support
* (new) ICS support
* full tablet (Honeycomb) support
* Japanese pronunciation (install 'N2 TTS' from Market to enable)
* text to speech for kanji and dictionary entry translations (English/German/French/Spanish/Italian)
* multi-radical kanji search
* kanji of the day widget
* Japanese sentence translation
* example search with approximately 150,000 examples (Japanese/English pairs)
* example word breakdown/translation
* animated stroke order diagrams for over 6000 kanji
* history and favorites
* history and favorites backup and restore
* favorites export to CSV and Anki
* handwriting recognition (including offline via the Kanji Recognizer app)
* OCR-based handwritten kanji recognition, does not require correct stroke order
* Optical Character Recognition (OCR) -- just take a picture of any kanji you want to look up
* multiple dictionary lookup (General/Japanese Names/Computing/Life Sciences and more)
* multiple languages supported (German/French/Russian/Swedish/Hungarian/Spanish/Dutch/Slovenian/Italian)
* romaji input
* kanji compound search
* kanji lookup by reading, meaning, radical or stroke count
* radical table showing radical variations
* automatic mirror selection for best performance
* Camera permission is needed for OCR
* Coarse location is needed to select the closest WWWJDIC mirror
* For more details, see the FAQ:
Email me for bug reports and feature requests:
Follow me on Twitter for latest updates: @kapitanpetko
Release announcements and detailed explanation of new features on my blog:
Dustin - 2011-10-03
You've outdone the original dictionary by a lot. Please don't remove any current features.
Elizabeth - 2011-09-30
Greatness, as expected from this site. I only wish all languages had their own Jim Breen sites and apps.
NakedJ - 2011-10-02
Latest update removed draw kanji feature. The app they recommended for this feature does not work. Would be 5 stars with a fix.
Roberto - 2011-09-08
it was good until the last update, then it stopped working, can't even look up simple words in English or Japanese. Samsung Galaxy S.
j - 2011-09-12
this app only works w/ good network connection. it is an undead app: it will start itself even when you don't use it if force-closed, wasting resource
nick - 2011-10-02
Handwriting recognition is available, press the pencil icon in the top right corner.
Nikolay - 2011-09-13
It does not waste resources, that is how Android caches processes. Background service may start periodically to update widget, but is not always on.
Tarik - 2011-08-20
Can't I use the Write Kanji input for multiple kanjis.Handwriting keyboards are not that accurate to write kanji. your Write Kanji input is far better
Ed A. - 2011-10-01
Thales - 2011-09-23
Filed Under: Books & Reference