Mobile Observatory Pro
Add to favorites
Rating: 4.6 (1,316) Cost: $4.49 Downloads: 10,000 - 50,000
Mobile Observatory is one of the most complete astronomy apps available for Android devices and the perfect tool for anybody interested in the sky's wonders, from the occasional sky gazer to the passionate amateur astronomer.
You want to know if the next lunar eclipse is visible from your location or when the next bright comet is visible? You would like to be notified by your smart phone the next time, Jupiter and the Moon meet in the sky? You want to know what the blazing bright object in the evening sky is? You want to be always up-to-date which celestial events are visible from your location? Then this app is a must-have for you!
The app does not only include a live, zoomable sky map telling you what sky object you are looking at but provides you with loads of detailed extra information on stars, planets, deep sky objects, meteor showers, comets, asteroids, lunar and solar eclipses as well as detailed ephemeris of all included sky objects and an interactive top-down view of the Solar System. All that in just one app!
Presently, Mobile Observatory is available in three different languages: English, German, and Spanish. Localisation to further languages is in progress.
Mobile Observatory provides the following features:
- Zoomable sky map showing stars, planets, asteroids, and more (above and below the horizon)
- Interactive top-down view of the Solar System
- Live mode (point device on sky and get information on what you see)
- Calendar showing detailed descriptions of celestial events
- Push celestial events to your phone's calendar and set a reminder alarm
- Rise, set, and transit times for any object
- Position of any object in the sky (altitude and direction)
- Twilight times, length of day
- Bright Star Catalog (~9000 stars) with detailed informations
- Selection of 2500 NGC objects
- Messier Catalog (110 objects) complete with images
- Caldwell Catalog (110 objects) complete with images
- Meteor streams (begin, maximum, hourly rate, ...)
- Lunar and solar eclipses information
- Bright comets (automatically selected according to the date)
- Dwarf planets: The five known dwarf planets
- Minor planets: bright, near Earth, trans-Neptune (total of 5000 in the database)
- Moon phases, the apparent view of the sun and planets
- Current image of the Sun and sunspot number
- Automatically generated visibility report for any object
- Twilight/Sunrise/set diagram for the complete year
- Compass view with showing azimuth and altitude of objects graphically
- Positions of the Jupiter moons
- Widget with rise & set times of the Sun and Moon
- Automatic location determination from the mobile network or GPS
- Select a location from a built-in database or online via Google Maps
- Choose any time and date
- Detailed ephemeris, visibility information of all objects
- Dates of conjunctions between any object with planets or the Moon
- 3D-view of the Moon and the planets
- Accurate calculations for dates between 1900 and 2100
keywords: astronomy, solar system, planet, stars, telescope, meteor, live sky map, asteroids, minor planets, mercury, venus, earth, mars, jupiter, galileian, saturn, uranus, neptune, ceres, vesta, juno, eros, comets, tablet friendly, venus transit, eclipse, pluto, lunar, vsop87, ngc, new general catalog, photography, golden hour, blue hour
Anthony - 2011-10-05
Don't download for HTC. Force quits and no refund option!
Gary - 2011-08-25
Great app. Well worth the money. So much information. Only gripe would be the Calender. Shows old events as well as new. Should be current or new only
Steve - 2011-08-22
Michael - 2011-08-25
Live screen now works properly on Droid X with latest gb update.
Don - 2011-08-22
another update - the fonts seem to be working after the last update. Thanks. update: dev was quick to add font size controls after my review but unfortunately they don't work correctly. When I set for a large size, they work for a while and then revert to small again. I must then change to small size, then change to larger size again. This happens every time I use the app.
Geoffrey - 2011-09-05
This is way better then Google skymap like it a lot works great on my HTC EVO
Shawn - 2011-09-12
Holds promise of more to come. Great planning for what to see. The star chart is slow and hard to pan. Has a very limited deep sky. Need sac data
dab - 2011-08-24
good app (a GHz chip should be recommended). Now the widget stopped working fo me for some reason :(
Catherine - 2011-10-02
Takes a while to see where all the information is, but it's grouped sensibly and gives a lot of data on each page.
Simon - 2011-09-18
sky mode is slow and difficult to pan. I would like to see 1 A lunar phase calendar for month 2 moon map 3 more objects 4 Jupiter satellite events
Filed Under: Education