Add to favorites
Rating: 4.4 (36,164) Cost: Free Downloads: 5,000,000 - 10,000,000
HeyTell® is a cross-platform voice messenger & walkie-talkie that allows you to instantly talk with friends & family who use Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7 devices with the press of a single button.
* Voice messages are quicker than SMS—and free!
* *Very* low data usage, no more than sending an email
* Works on any Internet connection!
* Superior audio quality: *twice* the frequency range of a cell phone call!
* EXTRAS! Check out the Voice Changer or create 25-way chat with Groups! Extras make HeyTell ad-free!
* Notifications alert whenever a message is received if you enable the Background Service via Menu > Settings > Background Service
✳ TIP: If you're on wifi & want to avoid late notifications, be sure to set your Wifi Sleep Policy to Never: Menu >Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi Settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never.
* Quickly Friend/Unfriend/Block. Adding contacts as friends ensures that you can always quickly find them by tapping the To: field and tapping "Friends."
* Choose from 3 different privacy levels to control how users can contact you without an invite:
✓ Low privacy: All Facebook friends can HeyTell you. Any of your Twitter followers can HeyTell you. People who know your phone number or email address can HeyTell you.
✓ Medium privacy: All Facebook friends can HeyTell you. All Twitter friends can talk to you. Friends of your HeyTell friends who know your phone number or email address can HeyTell you.
✓ High privacy: No one can contact you unless you contact them first or unless you accept their Twitter, Facebook, email, or SMS invite.
* Optionally, share your location with selected contacts while you talk
✳ TIP: To send your location information to a contact, you must have the MAPS page open (tap TARGET button) when you send the HeyTell message. For privacy reasons, HeyTell does not send location unless you approve & have Maps open.
✳ Conversations can be saved & replayed offline, or deleted
✳ TIP: Long-press on conversations & individual messages to access extended View, Delete, and Export options.
* All data and audio you transmit to HeyTell and your friends is encrypted in transit
* Earpiece and speakerphone functionality: Press the Speaker button to toggle between earpiece and speaker mode (If you find earpiece sound is too low, enable the speaker)
* You do NOT need to share personal information to connect with HeyTell contacts & have full control of your personal info. See https://heytell.com/privacy and https://heytell.com/faq for more information about connecting without sharing phone numbers or email addresses!
✳ TIP: Back up your account so that you do not have to re-add friends when you change phones or update ROMs. To do this, exit HeyTell and enable the Backup options accessed via Menu > Settings > Privacy or Backup & Sync.
✳ TIP: If you can send messages to friends, but you are not receiving them, ask your friends to respond directly to you by tapping the active conversation. It is likely that the contact information they're using to find you doesn't match what you set for yourself and/or your privacy is higher. However, directly responding to the conversation should always work! :)
✳ TIP: IF YOU GET AN "INBOX FULL" message, there's no need to delete the app or messages: This just means that your friend has to listen or reply to the messages you sent before you can continue to send them messages. Once they listen or respond, you can keep on talking!
NOTE THAT CARRIERS MAY CHARGE YOU & YOUR RECIPIENT FOR SMS INVITES, but they're not required--email invites and direct connections to other HeyTell users using phone, email, Twitter, & Facebook are free!
John - 1969-12-31
The app is great, works really well...most of the time. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the "HOLD AND SPEAK" button occasionally doesn't let you hold it down, and the whole message doesn't go through. I just have to restart the app and then it seems to work fine for a while. It does this on all four of our android phones in the family, so it's not just mine. Please address this problem, otherwise, awesome app!
RJ - 1969-12-31
everything works well except when im holing the talk button and it stops recording me. keeps cutting my messages off, making the app annoying and counter productive. please please fix or tell me how to fix. lg G2x
kanuuker - 1969-12-31
The app works decently well but it is somewhat buggy. The interface needs a total reworking. They need to add a landscape mode. And why on earth is the talk button so large? I'd rather be able to see more of my contacts. All that being said, it's a tremendously useful app.
David - 1969-12-31
When you try to add a friend to talk to, no matter how orecisely you soecify his email address or phone number, it claims to have found "several potential matches". Of course, it doesn't let you actually SEE the matches and select one, but instead it gives you buttons to send email or SMS. Pressing one of those sends the request to ALL of the "matches" immediately. Are they spamming from my phone? Who knows?
Susan - 1969-12-31
Uninstall/reinstall a second time fixed the "unable to receive messages" problem for my Droid. Weird. OK, now I LOVE it again!
Kimbo - 1969-12-31
Very cool app. Seems to get a little confused when I am trying to add a friend from my contacts list... I got stuck in a feedback loop where once I selected the contact I wanted to add, it once again flashed my list of contacts. Select contact again, same thing. Finally had to force close app to escape. :) hope that's helpful info
Dazza - 1969-12-31
Excellent! Records message then sends. Very quick, great quality, even over mobile networks.
judi - 1969-12-31
Works pretty good. Nice to not have to text all the time and faster then vm. The navigation is not always correct.
Donna - 1969-12-31
I simply love this app. Works great & the whole family uses it.
Amanda - 1969-12-31
I have not rated a single app since I purchased my EVO4G but this app is fantastic. It's so much fun... Texting was so 2011... Lol
Filed Under: Social