Add to favorites
Rating: 4.5 (1,422) Cost: $6.99 Downloads: 10,000 - 50,000
Osmand is an open source navigation application with access to a wide variety of global open street map data. All map data (vector or tile maps) can be stored on the phone memory card for offline usage. Osmand also offers offline and online routing functionality including voice guidance.
Osmand is the paid application version, by buying it you support the project, fund the development of new features, and receive the latest updates.
Some of the core features:
- Complete offline functionality (store downloaded vector or tile maps in a selectable folder)
- Compact offline vector maps for the whole world available
- Unlimited downloading of country or region maps directly from the app
- Offline Wikipedia feature (download Wikipedia POIs), great for sightseeing
- Overlay of several map layers possible, like GPX or navigation tracks, Points of Interest, favorites, contour lines, public transportation stops, additional maps with customizable transparency
- Offline search for addresses and places (POIs)
- Offline routing for short distances (experimental)
- Car, bicycle, and pedestrian modes with:
- Optional automated day/night view switching
- Optional speed-dependent map zooming
- Optional map alignment according to compass or direction of motion
Serge - 2011-07-15
The app looks pretty complete and promising. The interface can be improved. Making offline maps is still a pain. Preparing maps which could be used for a long trip is just too hard. Offline search seems to work well. Offline search tool implies that we know on which map is the city we are looking for before we type it. Offline guidance hardly works and is not reliable. I suspect discrepencies between the map used to compute the road and the chown one. Direction can be random. Crashes.
LC - 2011-06-14
Still in beta, but *very* promising. Maps are good although there occasionally seems to be a missing tile, but I guess that's the fault of the OSM source maps. Had the occasional crash but nothing serious. I like that you choose the maps and POI for anywhere in the world and just download them, no need to get an internet connection just to collect the maps for where you are at that point in time. Looking forward to the full release.
Alan - 2011-05-26
I liked the free version enough to pay for the non free version. Map downloads are too large e.g. all of Africa instead of one country at a time.
Mike - 2011-04-29
Great app, would be nice if osm were more like UKOS maps on terrain, but I guess that will come in time - fully offline and great for directions too
Paul - 2011-05-27
Levan - 2011-08-12
When I try to navigate map it always says "not enough memory", but I have 30mb free phone memory and a lot on SD. So I can't use it :|
Ray - 2011-05-01
After testing the free version a while on my SGS, it was only logic to give some money for the full app. Imortant to install the GSM Status App!
JV - 2011-04-21
Great map application! Works even without Wifi or phone connection! Gladly pay to support & keep ad free!
Aldis - 2011-07-23
I like this app. Did vote for faster vector rendering.
Albert - 2011-07-15
almost flawless in the streets of Manila! looking forward to the full development of this app..
Filed Under: Travel & Local