The National Cycle Network
Add to favorites
Rating: 2.6 (155) Cost: Free Downloads: 10,000 - 50,000
Access over 25,000 miles of walking and cycling network across the UK, anytime, anywhere, with ‘The complete National Cycle Network’ app from UK charity Sustrans. The app is designed to help people make more of their everyday journeys on foot or by bike.
It uses Ordnance Survey maps and Sustrans' route data and features all 13,000 miles of award winning National Cycle Network and a further 12,000 miles of regional and local routes and links. Whether it is for picking your way through an urban metropolis to work, winding through the countryside for leisure, finding a traffic-free route to school, a challenging bike ride or a fun family day out, ‘The complete National Cycle Network’ has something for everyone.
- Fortnightly updates of the latest route developments and additions to the Network
- Auto-centre the map on your current location (if you have GPS turned on)
- Record and keep a GPS track of your route as you walk or ride along
- Plan and save routes and access them from a big computer
- Share your routes with friends
- 1:10,000 and 1:25,000 scale copyright-free Ordnance Survey mapping, with every route assessed and approved by Sustrans
- Integration with the public transport network, with links to the Transport Direct journey planning website, making it easier to get bus and train updates from any location so you can plan longer journeys
- Recommended routes for great local days out as well as more challenging long distance rides.
As well as a great travel tool, the app is also fantastic for everyday use to find out what your local area has to offer. The mapping highlights local grocery shops, schools, libraries, museums, sports centres and other local amenities, along with leisure attractions, places of interest and information on car clubs, bike shops and public transport.
Martyn Brunt, Sustrans’ Development Manager for the Network, says, “Whether it’s getting around locally, finding your nearest bus stop or supermarket, a safer route to school, or looking for places to go, this is an invaluable everyday tool for local knowledge, travel or leisure”.
Filed Under: Travel & Local