AlpineQuest GPS Hiking
Add to favorites
Rating: 4.5 (492) Cost: $6.99 Downloads: 5,000 - 10,000
AlpineQuest GPS Hiking is the complete solution for all outdoor activities and sports, including hiking, running, trailing, hunting, sailing, geocaching, off-road navigation and much more.
You can access and store locally a large range of on-line topographic maps, which will remain available even while being out of cell coverage. AlpineQuest also supports on-board file based maps, like MemoryMap(c) maps.
By using the GPS and the magnetic sensor of your device (with compass display), getting lost is part of the past: you are localized in real-time on the map, which can also be oriented to match where you are looking at.
Save and retrieve landmarks, share them with your friends. Track your path, get advanced statistics and interactive graphics. You won't have anymore question about what you can accomplish.
By staying fully operational out of cell coverage (as often in mountain or abroad), AlpineQuest assists you in all your desires of deep wilderness exploring...
Don't hesitate, try the free Lite version right now!
Note: IGN Top25(c) and OSGB Explorer(c) maps are available in MemoryMap(c) format, but NOT included with the application.
PLEASE report suggestions and issues on our dedicated forum: http://forum.psyberia.net (no registration needed, all questions answered).
Do not use comments for that: we cannot answer!
Key features are:
*** Maps ***
• Built-in online maps (with automatic local storage; road, topo and satellite maps included);
• Built-in online layers (road names and hills shading);
• Get more online maps and layers in one click from the included community map list (Nokia maps, USGS Topo, ...);
• On-board offline maps support (visit our website to get the free map creator MOBAC);
• Memory-Map support (QuickChart .qct maps only, test your maps using the free version first);
• Multiple maps in layers display, with per-map opacity control;
• Advanced SD memory card Map Explorer and Scanner.
*** Landmarks ***
• Full GPX support (display/browse/create/edit of waypoints, routes and tracks);
• KML and LOC files support;
• Save and share online locations with other users using Community Landmarks;
• Details, advanced statistics and interactive graphics on various items;
• Time Controller to replay time-tagged tracks;
• GPX Routes and KML Rings creators;
• Advanced SD memory card Landmarks Explorer.
*** Geolocation / Orientation ***
• On-map geolocation using GPS or Network;
• Map orientation, compass and target finder;
• Built-in GPS Tracker (long tracking capable, running in a separate and light process);
• Barometer support (for compatible devices).
• Full screen map view;
• Multi-touch zoom;
• Longitude/Latitude and grid coordinates (UTM, USNG, MGRS, OSGB, Irish, CH1903);
• Metric and imperial distance units;
About the "Phone state and identity" Android permission: due to the backward compatibility of AlpineQuest with Android 1.5, this permission is automatically added by Google Play (see http://stackoverflow.com/a/1750875).
Gábor - 2011-08-19
With newest versions(1.2.7 and 1.2.6) I always get this runtime message: Oups! An error occoured. Cell:_loadTileSynchroneously,In:PsyCanvasTileLoaderThread,Throws:Java.Lang.OutOfMemoryError,Message:bitmap size exceeds VM budget In fact can't use it. Older version(V1.2.4) worked fine. Device: HTC Hero, Android V2.1
Steve - 2011-09-05
Used this for a hike in the like district, easy to import maps and gps/compass worked great, map and compass stayed in the bag all day, Sony arc
John - 2011-08-22
Excellent, takes time to learn to get the best from it but worth the effort. Just driven 350 mls in France using this app for maps and waypoints
jblack - 2011-08-27
All its missing is a map source that has hiking trails for state parks
sean - 2011-09-25
Mobile atlas creator freezes before it finishes any map worth having. Memory maps has no U.S. maps for sale. And Alpine has no way of dl'ing maps. :(
Maxx - 2011-08-14
Tried this & backcountry - ultimately opted for alpine quest. Some ui & features I just liked better,& dev is responsive where improvement is needed.
Wilfo - 2011-10-01
It displays gpx files, needs only a couple of minutes with reception and you can go offline and still have the trail map!
Andrew - 2011-08-21
Greater than 20 seconds option on tracker is needed, as on long walks as my battery is dead after a 3 hours! Please give 60 120 180 300 second options
Tom - 2011-08-18
Margarita - 2011-08-20
Was great before update. After it I was not even able to record a new track. After 1 hour attempts gave it up.
Filed Under: Travel