Snapseed comes to Android and threatens Instagram with its Google+ sharing feature
Google today has released Snapseed, a photo app which it bought together with the makers of the app. For the uninitiated to Snapseed, it’s a mobile photo app like many other photo apps that you may have already encountered before. According to Google, Snapseed makes any photograph extraordinary with a fun, high-quality photo experience right at your fingertips. And it does so via this free Android app.
Now since it’s already owned by Google, the app naturally has direct integration with Google’s social networking site, Google Plus. This somehow poses a threat to Instagram, the leader in the social photo sharing app since, Snapseed users who also happens to be active Google Plus users will have no qualms in sharing photos they’ve taken and post-processed using the app.
When it comes to photo editing features, Snapseed also has enough inside its bag. Take a look at these list of features:
- Auto Correct – Automatically analyzes your photo and adjusts color and exposure to perfection.
- Selective Adjust – Make precise selections and enhancements to specific areas of your photos in seconds with Nik Software’s revolutionary U Point technology.
- Tune Image – Use Ambience to create depth and vibrancy that uniquely adapts to colors and textures. Adjust White Balance, Saturation, Contrast, more.
- Straighten & Rotate – Rotate 90° and/or straighten photos with simple gesture controls.
- Crop – Easily crop images to remove distracting parts of your photo with standard aspect ratios, or a free crop.
- Black & White – Get that classic Black and White look with this darkroom-inspired filter.
- Vintage Films – Make any photo look like a vintage color film photo from the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s.
- Drama – Add style with a custom effect specifically tailored to your photos, ranging from subtle textures to wildly artistic effects.
- Grunge – Give your photos a totally unique, hip, and dingy look.
- Tilt-Shift – Create a narrow in-focus area designed to simulate depth of field, common in a Miniature Scene look.
- Details – Enhance details with traditional sharpening or the unique Structure control found in the Nik Software professional products.
- Center Focus – Draw attention to the subject of your photo by blurring and adjusting the brightness of the surrounding background.
- Organic Frames – Add stylized borders to photos for the perfect finishing touch.
I’ve tried using the app and I would have to say that it could very well suit up against Instagram and other photo sharing apps. The fact that it’s backed by Google even strengthens this potential.
Snapseed is available now from Google Play as a free download.
Filed Under: Articles