Sony Ericsson Moves Update of Xperia X10 to Android 2.1 to End of October
According to the Sony Ericsson blog, while they are pushing all the promised enhancements that the Android 2.1 update will bring to the Xperia X10, however, they needed some more time before this gets rolled out. The good news is that the OS update will also be brought to the othe Xperia smartphones – Xperia X10 Mini and Xperia X10 Mini Pro.
Take note we’re talking about Android 2.1 aka Eclair here and not the latest Android 2.2 aka Froyo. And with this OS update, you’d get the following new features:
For the Xperia X10:
- HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
- New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
- 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
- Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
For the Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:
- Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
- New backup and restore application with extended content back up
- Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
- Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
Sony Ericsson also added that the roll out of Android Eclair to these handsets will be done by phase, so the roll out may last until the last weeks of October before everyone who has the Xperia handsets get the OS update.
So there, if you’re currently using any of the Xperia X10 smartphones, we hope you didn’t get saddened that much by this delay. At least you still have less than a month to play around with the classic Android 1.5 OS before you finally move on to Eclair.
Filed Under: Articles