Add to favorites
Rating: 4.4 (102) Cost: $0.99 Downloads: 1,000 - 5,000
Solve cryptograms with Enigma using patterns, letter frequencies, and common sense as you attempt to break the code.
There are over 1100 puzzles included with more coming in future updates. (I'm typing as fast as I can...)
A Trial Version is available too.
What is a cryptogram?
A cryptogram is a block of text that has been encrypted using a "substitution cipher". In a substitution cipher, each letter is replaced with a different one.
All letters A are changed to the letter Q.
All letters B are changed to the letter R.
This mapping of letters is different for each game.
Using patterns, letter frequencies, and common sense you attempt to determine the letter for which each of the encrypted letters stands.
The application provides several features to help you if you get stuck.
- On-Screen Navigation - Use the on-screen directional arrows to move around. Helpful if you don't have a d-pad or trackball.
- Pressing Space or Delete will clear the current letter.
- Save Game - You can save your game and come back to it if you need a break.
- Show/Hide Source - The source of the quote/text block is hidden by default. This hint will expose the source for you and hide it again to open up more screen space.
- Show Letter - When you really get stuck, this will expose the letter of your choice in the cryptogram.
- Show Puzzle - When all hope is lost, this will show you the answer to the puzzle you've been working on.
- Letter Frequency Table - Shows you the number of times a coded letter appears in the text.
- Unused Letters - Shows a list of the letters that have not yet been used in the puzzle solution.
- Showing Duplicates - Duplicate letters are shown as italicized. So, if you enter the same letter for two different codes, Enigma will show all occurrences of that entered letter italicized.
- If you complete the puzzle without using the "Show Puzzle" option, you will be given the opportunity to email the quote to yourself or someone else.
Enigma can be customized to your personal tastes by choosing the Preferences menu item and selecting the appropriate options.
Select from different color schemes. Feel free to contact me with suggestions for more.
- Original - Reminiscent of the old green screen monitors.
- The Blues - Blue is the basis of this color scheme.
- Scarlet Letters - Deep reds make this a pleasing choice.
Select from different Font sizes. This can be very helpful on tablets where you might want the puzzle to take up more room and be easier to manage.
- Small - Useful for smaller devices.
- Medium - The original size and still the default.
- Large - Tablets will work well with this or the next size up.
- Extra-Large - Tablets will work well with this or the next size down.
Next Letter Preference
After entering a letter the focus will change based on your choice from the following options:
- Don't advance to the next letter. (Current/Default Behavior)
- Advance to the next letter.*
- Advance to the next empty letter.*
* When at the end of the puzzle, it won't wrap to the beginning.
Randy - 1969-12-31
Thanks Eric for all your time and effort to resolve the Driod Bionic issue. This is a fun and challenging game and i know i will spend hours playing.
Suzanne - 1969-12-31
Good quote. Easier to see puzzle than another similar game. Lots of fun.
Charles - 1969-12-31
Awesome game and now works on my bionic. Buy this and you wont be sorry.
Steve - 1969-12-31
Worked on the original Droid, doesn't work on Droid Bionic. Pls fix.
Enodios - 1969-12-31
Crystal - 1969-12-31
Had it on my old droid x and its an awesome time passer.. But as soon as I got my droid x2 and tried it the key bord doesn't work at all. fix pls
N.Leigh - 1969-12-31
Ok, I gotta say it: this is just the best pastime app. Good challenge, great quotes. Could use more from women; Julia Child had some doozies.
wally - 1969-12-31
Per previous posts...don't want "wheel of fortune"? Then don't use the cheats. Challenging for thinkers.
Enya - 1969-12-31
sandytoo - 1969-12-31
Filed Under: Brain & Puzzle